Job Posting: Education and Outreach Director
Download a PDF of this job listing here.
POSTED: November 24, 2017
Position: Education and Outreach Director
Reports to: Artistic and Executive Director
MamLuft&Co. Dance seeks a skilled, passionate, and highly productive leader to serve as the non-profit organization’s Education and Outreach Director.
In short, the Education and Outreach Director is responsible for:
- raising funds to make her/his position self-sustaining (primarily through grants and earned program revenue,
- strengthening current and developing new education and outreach programs (primarily for children),
- overseeing and administering all aspects of the organization’s education and outreach programs (including 5-8 contracted teaching artists and 4-6 weekly parent volunteers).
Education: Minimum Bachelor degree, preferably in Dance, Education, or Non-Profit Management, although other degrees accepted. Required to have a passion for dance. Highly preferred to have dance background/training in Modern, Ballet, and Jazz, if not also Tap.
- Take an active, hands-on role in nearly all MamLuft&Co. Dance education and outreach needs, as a leader, administrator, daily manager, and teacher.
- Collaborate with Artistic/Executive Director, the Board of Trustees, teachers, schools, parents, and other organizations to excel in organizational and programmatic objectives.
- Create and provide outreach opportunities that reduce barriers to dance, particularly Modern Dance.
- Increase earned (tuition and fees) and contributed revenue (grant awards and donations) to make this position and the programs self-sustaining, as well as to support the organization as a whole.
- Plan and execute marketing and PR to recruit new students and raise awareness of programs.
- Balance daily, detailed duties, as well as the “big picture” to accomplish organizational and programmatic missions.
- Personality and work traits: Is kind, generous, patient, and helpful to all people. Able to work quickly, efficiently, and accurately under pressure. Visionary, but realistic. Adapts easily. Manages time extremely well. Able to take ownership of numerous and simultaneous projects from conception to completion. Does not require constant supervision or direction.
- Must be passionate about educating children (and adults) in the arts. Must be passionate about how arts education is vital to the sustainability of the arts sector.
- Ideal candidate sees him or herself a long-term partner in MamLuft&Co. Dance.
- Must be driven to reduce barriers to dance to make dance less elitist and more accessible.
- Must have strong appreciation (and preferably, knowledge) of progressive Modern Dance, as well as all dance forms taught by ML&Co. (which includes contact improvisation, ballet, tap, jazz).
- Sets goals, makes plans, works within budget while getting results. Strong attention to detail, but sees “the big picture.” Highly organized, communicative, productive, focused, reliable, and motivated, even when working independently. Learns quickly. Is able to effectively train and manage others.
- Works well with others; is patient; does not take feedback personally; excellent communicator in written and verbal forms; very responsive and timely. Works within needs of organization. Works well under directorship.
Skills and Experience
- General: At least 2 years experience (4-5 preferred) in dance, dance education, or arts administration.
- Preferred (but not required) dance experience: Has worked directly with children. Can teach at least one form of dance technique, preferably modern and creative movement. Has dance knowledge and classroom experience to spearhead curriculum development and teacher training/development.
- Grant-writing: Experience in researching and writing successful grant proposals.
- Finances: Experience in creating and adhering to both small and large project budgets.
- Public relations: PR and marketing skills/experience. Excellent customer service skills in
- Other technical skills: General technical proficiency and ability to learn software quickly and independently. Creates tools to make his/her own work efficient. Note: will be trained/work in Mac operating system, MS Word and Excel, FileMaker Pro, Google Apps (Voice, Drive, Email), Dropbox, PayPal, WordPress, Woocommerce, Doodle, and others.
How to Apply:
Send CV, cover letter (specifically addressing aspects of the job as described above), and work samples (recommended: writing about the arts or dance, grant application, education or large project planning tools) to Jeanne Mam-Luft at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
*NOTE: This posting is not an all-inclusive job description and is in no way intended to specify all duties, assignments, or tasks required for this position.